Lo Tom

David Bazan, Headphones, and PTL Discussion

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

sherpa141

Re: Lo Tom

Postby sherpa141 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:17 pm

Just finished my first listen. So far I rate it pretty cool.

Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.
-Adam Phillips

(this is) john.

Postby (this is) john. » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:06 am

Really like "Bad Luck Charm" and "Overboard"

corey

Postby corey » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:22 pm

Of course I'm out of state when this gets delivered. Anxiously waiting the first spin when I get home.

ragamuffin

Postby ragamuffin » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:49 pm

I received the record today and it's pretty great, after 1 listen. It's nice to hear a fairly straight forward rock album. It ended and I wanted more, so that's both a plus and negative I suppose. Anyway, my expectations were pretty high considering the line-up and the first 2 songs they released and I was not disappointed at all.
"I was born with a preacher's mouth and a rock and roll heart."

Mattmon
Site Admin

Postby Mattmon » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:32 am

Lower Down- Fuuuuuuuuck is that what I needed right now. So good.

Too bad I forgot to preorder the vinyl and am relying on a stream. Hopefully the LP I just ordered comes soonish
Reason cannot help you if you don't shut up!

corey

Postby corey » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:16 am

First spin

This thing jams

Love it

steelopus

Postby steelopus » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:49 am

So, a good friend of mine is a music journalist. Writes for Pitchfork/Spin/Paste/etc. I've had this album for 2 months and it's been so hard to keep quiet about it. But now that it's live... oh man.

How relieving does it feel to hear these guys playing traditional guitar rock again? So relieving.

Hard to believe they wrote these songs in about 2 days, because they all make some very good choices in their performances. These tracks don't feel like they were almost entirely off-the-cuff.

8 tracks feels just right.

Not to say I don't love the synth music Dave has been making (and TW, too), but this sort of rock is my bread and butter and they're just so good at it. I love when old friends get together to make music and you can tell just be listening that they all know each other's strengths.

Well done, Lo Tom.

Mike McCusker

Postby Mike McCusker » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:33 am

I'm loving this album. I'm flying over from the UK for the Seattle show. Hope to catch some of you there.

Wonder what they're planning to fill the set with? I think American Flags would fit in nicely.

Also, get there early for Chris Staples set. He makes a lovely sound.

SkeletonRock

Postby SkeletonRock » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:05 pm

Tickets purchased.

Can't wait to see you, Mike.

Gipper

Postby Gipper » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:08 pm

I'm also wondering what they'll do to fill out a set since the album is only 8 tracks. Would love a PTL and SF59 to be thrown in.

The fact that you're flying over from the UK means I probably don't have any excuse to skip this show being a local.
* Not a Spambot.

SkeletonRock

Postby SkeletonRock » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:47 pm

Got to hang with Cek and his lovely wife, Mrs. Cek. Hung out with Mike a couple times over the weekend. BulletproofPunch recognized me from the board somehow and said hi. Mrs. Bulletproofpunch was not impressed.

It was a great show. Talked to Dave briefly. The "encore" was great.

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:49 am

SkeletonRock wrote:Got to hang with Cek and his lovely wife, Mrs. Cek. Hung out with Mike a couple times over the weekend. BulletproofPunch recognized me from the board somehow and said hi. Mrs. Bulletproofpunch was not impressed.

It was a great show. Talked to Dave briefly. The "encore" was great.

More info, plz. Can we get a setlist? What was the deal with this "encore"?
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.

-Adam Phillips

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:43 pm

Did TW and DB switch bass and guitar on one song?

-Adam Phillips

cek

Postby cek » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:01 am

It was great catching up with SROCK and his wife and getting to meet Mike. Awesome people.

Chris Staples opened. I don't know his stuff at all. It was all low-key, soft, acoustic guitar stuff. I don't know if you could really make out what he was playing if you weren't directly inline with the stage/speakers.

TW's set/performance was strong. I'm usually not much of a fan of just singer & guitar performances, so I did wish he had a full band, but with that in mind I still really enjoyed and appreciated his set. And at least he used an SG and dirtied up/intensified the sound a bit, so that helped for me.

Lo Tom. They simply played the album, in order, retaining their own instruments the whole time, TW sang backup, and then did an encore which consisted of Covered Wagon and Overboard again. Someone had told me that that's what they did for a previous show, and I was really hoping that that wasn't true. But I would gladly take getting those two songs for a second time over getting nothing. Was really hoping they would sprinkle in stuff from Dave/Pedro and Starflyer 59.

Having said that, I thought their show was AWESOME. The album was amazing live. Even some of the songs that I either don't like as much as others, or that (to me) don't come across as impacting or powerful on the album were all elevated and so good live. It was just good rock n roll and it felt awesome. I would've taken the entire album through a second time if they did it.

It was my first time at the Tractor Tavern, but a guy that was there with us said he'd attended a number of shows there and that he had never seen the place so packed.

When they came out for the encore and were putting their gear on again TW played the first 5 notes of Criticism as Inspiration. That got a reaction from the crowd. And made Dave laugh.

THANKS DAVE & TW!!!!

BulletproofPunch didn't come look for me and try and figure out who I was and find me in the crowd and say hi. I thought that was a real dick move.
song currently in my head: "Here Come the Warm Jets" Brian Eno

Return to “David Bazan & PTL”