ansible

Care is out (full stream)

Postby ansible » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:29 pm

when I was a boy
everything was right

ansible

Re: Care is out (full stream)

Postby ansible » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:38 am

This album is still blowing my fucking mind.

After enough spins one thing that really stands out to me is the ratio of words:music on this album, and how short it is (~30 mins). Almost every song starts and ends with Dave singing, with mostly singing in between. Like I think 4 bars is the max amount of time any song intro gets, then he is right into the melody. He stops singing, the song is over. Coupled with the incredible production of the album and how interesting and nuanced the music is, Dave's voice really drives the album, for all the synths and drums around it.

It is really interesting that longer musical interludes are not on this album (or it would be more like 45 mins) and it feels intentional, because nothing is missing from the album. If anything, it is only more accessible because you can listen to it so many times. Some songs are shorter than normal for Dave (< 3 mins), and some almost hit the 5 minute mark.

In that respect, Care gives me a really strong Headphones feel, written quickly, the overflow of creative buildup and the drive to see it through. And though that is one of my favorite records, Care is that much better. The lyrics are fucking incredible (see forum), and so brutally honest. It's super hard to be objective while still so close to release, but I love this album so much.
when I was a boy
everything was right

paulhewson

Postby paulhewson » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:25 pm

You've summed it up nicely. I am loving the new album as well. Bought it on iTunes and am waiting for my vinyl to arrive.

soonersrule07

Postby soonersrule07 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:38 am

First run through - Damn, the reworked songs sound so great. I'm especially a fan of the rework of Permanent Record - much darker and haunting.
It's the last Noah's ark, so everything has got to fit.

ansible

Postby ansible » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:59 pm

This album is not a window. It is a mirror.

paulhewson

Postby paulhewson » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:22 pm

Has Dave said much about what gear he used on this record? Particularly the synths?

Cassavetes

Postby Cassavetes » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:03 pm

I'm an occasional subscriber to a monthly vinyl club called Vinyl Me, Please and they've been Bazan supporters (having Blanco in their monthly curated store when I first joined), anyway, in their weekly newsletter this week they had a write-up about Care:
Albums I think you should buy:
David Bazan, Care
"Perennial indie powerhouse David Bazan is back with his second record in as many years and still wrestling with himself and the world around him in a way that only he can. It's easy to love David in the same way we love certain Wes Anderson characters: he's unabashedly himself and thoroughly honest with a deep empathy for everyone he comes into contact with. He's wise beyond his years and that comes not from a pursuit of being wise, but from a pursuit of being true to himself, his family and his craft. Filmmaker Brandon Vedder has spent the last few years following Dave around and making a film about that very pursuit and we’ve partnered up with him to help raise money for the project.

All proceeds from the sale of this record will be donated to the film's Kickstarter and you can also catch our interview with David and Brandon over on our podcast. This is a heavy and necessary record from one of the finest American songwriters."

If you're interested in joining I can give you a link to save money (this month is an exclusive reissue of the long OOP Gorillaz-Demon Days) but you can pm me if you want that, as the reason I'm posting this is because I thought it was awesome that they were donating proceeds to the kickstarter.
fka fgoya:member since 02 Dec 2002

brothermatt

Postby brothermatt » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:49 am

i was about to email bob because my vinyl copy hadn't arrived yet. i thought it was supposed to have been at my house by now. then i re-read the receipt. MAY it says. not MARCH.

i'm an english teacher, btw.

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:20 pm

BROMATT!!!!
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.
-Adam Phillips

Gipper

Postby Gipper » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:32 pm

You asked for Headphones II; you got it. Now love it.
* Not a Spambot.

sherpa141

Postby sherpa141 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:24 pm

Personally, I don't taste it when the last two Bazan records are compared so directly to Headphones. While all three prominently feature synths, the texture and vibe couldn't be much different.
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.

-Adam Phillips

Return to “David Bazan & PTL”